China has raised concerns over what it described as possible “discriminatory law enforcement” following the arrest of 69 Chinese nationals during a joint government raid on a steel company in Misamis Oriental last week. Speaking to reporters in Makati on Wednesday, May 20, Chinese Embassy Deputy Chief of Mission Zhou Zhiyong questioned why all Filipino workers at the facility were released while all 69 Chinese workers remained detained. “This to us raises the suspicion of discrimination — discriminatory law enforcement practice,” he said. The workers were arrested during a May 15 operation conducted by Philippine authorities at the Philippine Sanjia-Steel Corporation in Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental. The operation was jointly carried out by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Commission (PAOCC), Philippine National Police (PNP), Philippine Coast Guard (PCG), Philippine Air Force (PAF), and other agencies. Authorities accused the company of alleged violations involving hazardous materials, labor standards, immigration regulations, and consumer protection laws. ‘Not illegal workers’ However, Zhou strongly rejected allegations that the Chinese nationals were undocumented workers. “These are not illegal workers,” he said. “They are Chinese workers issued with proper visa or work permit to be hired by a Filipino company,” he added. The Chinese diplomat said Beijing’s primary concern was the safety and welfare of its citizens in the Philippines. “We request the Filipino authorities to clarify the legal ground of their detention,” Zhou said, adding that this concern had already been conveyed to Philippine law enforcement agencies. ‘Why only the Chinese workers?’ Zhou noted that around 400 people, including more than 300 Filipino workers, were present at the facility during the operation. He noted that all workers were initially ordered to remain inside the compound. However, the Filipino workers were later released while the Chinese nationals were detained and flown to Metro Manila aboard a military aircraft. “If you say they are all suspects, they are all workers of the same company suspected of producing hazardous materials — everybody should be taken into custody,” Zhou said. “Our question is why all the 69 Chinese workers were detained while all 300 Filipino co-workers were released,” he added. Only one Filipino — described as someone who controlled the plant operations — was reportedly arrested. Humane treatment sought The Chinese Embassy also expressed concern over the detention conditions faced by the arrested workers. Zhou said embassy officials conducted a consular visit after “persistent representation” with Philippine authorities. According to him, the embassy had yet to receive formal notification from Philippine authorities despite a bilateral consular agreement requiring notification within four days when citizens are detained. “They were in harsh conditions. Thirteen males were kept in a five- to six-square-meter area,” Zhou said. “They complained to us they couldn’t sleep — how could they? They didn’t even have enough space to lie down,” he added. The diplomat urged Philippine authorities to ensure humane treatment of the detainees while the case is ongoing. “We urge the Philippine side to deal with the case in strict accordance with the law in a fair and just manner, and ensure the humane treatment of our Chinese citizens while they are in detention,” he said. “If they are found not to be in violation of Philippine law, we hope they’d be released soon,” he added. Zhou said the embassy has already reached out to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), but they have yet to get a response. Asked if China filed a diplomatic protest over the incident, the diplomat said they did not. “We don’t do it that way. We wrote letters,” he said. Which came first? The Chinese diplomat also questioned suggestions that the steel plant posed a national security threat due to its proximity to a naval facility. He noted that the plant was supposedly constructed in 2018 while the naval dock was supposedly still “being constructed.” “I don’t believe it will take a naval dock eight to nine years to be completed,” Zhou said. “If they decided to put a naval dock there, who affects whom?” he added. Zhou noted that the Philippine government could have asked the company to move elsewhere. “If it’s a national security issue, you can talk to the company and ask them to move,” he said. “They were already there before you built the naval dock there,” he added. Despite these questions, Zhou said they were not China’s primary concern. “Our concern is the protection of our citizens,” he reiterated. “The Philippine government should treat our citizens with decency and protection. Vice versa, you would tell us the same. because we are two equal sovereign nations,” he added. Upholding Philippine laws For its part, the PAOCC said the operation reflected the government’s commitment to uphold Philippine laws, protect Filipino workers, and prevent activities that threaten public safety and national security. In its statement, PAOCC said the implementation of search warrants led to the discovery of alleged violations involving hazardous materials, labor standards, immigration regulations, and consumer protection laws. “Investigators reported that employees inside the facility were allegedly working without adequate personal protective equipment despite hazardous working conditions,” it said. “Authorities also stated that several foreign workers were allegedly operating without valid Alien Employment Permits, while others were reportedly unable to present valid passports during the operation,” it added. The arrested individuals were charged with violations of the Philippine Nuclear Energy and Safety Act, the Labor Code of the Philippines, immigration laws, and the Consumer Act. Authorities likewise disclosed the discovery of more than 500,000 metric tons of steel rebar stored in warehouses that may pose potential health and safety risks to individuals exposed to the material over prolonged periods.
China raises discrimination concerns over arrest of 69 nationals in Misamis steel plant raid
Source: Manila Bulletin
Read Full Story →
